Friday, October 07, 2005

Finished Object Alert

After 20 days of garter stitch madness, my Hap (Everyday Shawl) is done! After a Eucalaan Lavender bath, I blocked it to the width of a queen sized bed (60"), and used the stripes on the liner of an old comforter as a pinning guide. The critters were not happy about being shut out of the guest room overnight!

Once it was dry, I unpinned it and took it outside for a photo shoot. The strong gusts of wind made for interesting acrobatics, but the Hap seemed to enjoy being aired outside. Maybe later today it will make its uptown debut when I go grocery shopping.

Specifics: Shetland Shawl by Sidna Farley, page 26 of The Best of Knitter's Shawls and Scarves. Used 7 1/2 balls of the Rockies Brown shade of Shetland 4-Ply, by Harris Tweed Textiles, from Elann.com (approximately 1600m / 1750yds). Knitted on US size 10 needles (~6mm). Cast on 2 stitches, then knitted section by section, with no internal cast offs or sewing required. Garter stitch grafted edging (13 stitches) to finish. I did make some minor modifications to the pattern (changes in the lace only).

After fighting the wind, I brought it inside for a still life shot, with serving dishes, on our 60" diameter oak table. The kitchen table gets a lot of natural light, so the colour is pretty darn true.

Also finished is a scarf I'm calling Persnickety. This is standard fern lace, knitted in opposite directions from the middle to make it symmetrical. Tassels were added for a touch of frivolity. I charted the pattern and added my notes, so if you are interested, email me and I will send it out (pdf file).

7 comments:

Deb R said...

The shawl is lovely. So girly and pretty!

(I bet it involved those kick 1, yo! sort of instructions, didn't it?)

Deborah Boschert said...

Lovely -- both the shawl and the scarf. I can't imagine...

I am sometimes intrigued by the interesting stitch markers knitters have. Did you have to use some? Are they cool? Pictures please.

Colette said...

Lovely shawl - beautiful work! I really like the scarf too - I would love to have the pattern - it would make a lovely christmas present for someone on my list.

Suzanne said...

cLove the shawl and the scarf. I would love to try the scarf pattern, it looks like a fun knit.

Deb Lacativa said...

that is so beautiful! so wonderful to use this dark smoke color...am I seeing it right? It looks like a storm cloud.

Anonymous said...

The hap shawl is beautiful -- but I thought that hap shawls were supposed to be "plain" LOL... I think I'm about ready to work on a hap... just need to find the right yarn for it... that and dreading the miles and miles of nothing but garter stitch... sigh... time to bite the bullet... seeing your hap gives the rest of us the courage to carry on...

Would love to get the scarf pattern...

Logan said...

Thanks for all the kind words! It's always nice to get feedback from someone other than the spouse (everything I show him is "nice, Dear") or the cats (who either accept by sleeping on, or reject by barfing on).

To Suzanne & Ms. Jodi, if you email me at qcallingATtelusDOTnet (change the caps to the appropriate bits and pieces), I will send you the pattern for the scarf.

Thanks again!