Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mystery Stole 3 KAL Update - Clue 2

I love Mystery Stole-ing Along! Not only am I part of what is probably the largest knit-along in web history, but it is also a really interesting project. I download the clues as soon as they come out (yes, I have stayed up all night just to get the clue in the early morning hours, Melanie (the designer/brilliant KAL hostess) having posted at a reasonable time on the East Coast), then get right on with the knitting.

I'm using hand painted Merino Lace Weight from RubySapphire Yarns, in the colour "Cody", which I purchased a year ago with no particular plans in mind. The true colour is richer and has less of the stripe and contrast than that shown in the photo - when it's finished I'll have to take daylight photos.
Instead of using only one colour of beads, I'm using translucent red with a bronze coating for the border, and a cut opaque brown lustre within the patterned portion of the stole.

I having so much fun with the beading that I admit to having gone back and revisited all of the still-virtual (I design in Excel) shawls and stoles I've designed, and adding beads to the patterns. Oy.

So far, I've finished knitting each of the two clues within a few days of them coming out, then spent the rest of the week impatient and not really able to focus on other projects. To alleviate this problem, I've joined another KAL - Goddess Knits' Mystery Shawl Along (version 3). I'm doing this one with heavy yarn and big needles as a break from lace weight, and also because I want a large, enveloping shawl for chilly mornings.

The beer is in the shot for scale, although it was popped and drained shortly after the photo session (it was over 30C in here, and I was thirsty). This is part way through the second clue. The Mystery Shawl 3 KAL is actually finished, so I downloaded all of the clues at the same time.

I'm knitting with 8.0mm (US size 11) needles, using a custom yarn purchased from an E-Bay vendor (SPINCITYARNS), in the gold'n copper colourway. It consists of three different yarns skeined together: a cotton flake yarn, a textured rayon, and a mohair blend. Yummy!


Also on the needles is the second of a pair of socks for Tom. I'm using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport 100% wool in Cedar, and putting a simple knit/purl texture pattern on the upper foot and leg. I'll post photo when they're done.

In the other in-process que: finishing placemats for Dad and Marion, and finishing commissioned wallhanging pattern and sample for local quilt store.

I'm busy. Maybe I should leave the beer out from now on.

1 comment:

Lacefreak said...

I think your version of the Mystery Stole is really attractve. I may have to get that pattern myself. It looks like great fun.