Friday, April 29, 2005

Playing with the Straight & Narrow

I couldn't sleep last night, so instead I played with ideas for the QuiltArt Straight & Narrow Challenge. The new threads I recently purchased were calling to me, as was some Marjorie Lee Bevis pebble style marbled fabric, so I played around a bit and came up with this silliness - 8 Squares & Some Wiggles.

The piece is 8" wide x 40" long, and I plan to mount it on a wooden frame (have left an extra 6" all the way around it for wrapping around the frame). I used some Sari silk yarn to edge it, and to add a little more drama. Mostly I'm just having fun being quilt liberated - the squares were fused on, the free motion quilting has pointy bits, and the yarn was machine couched. Hah! I just broke three of my (old) quilting rules!

If DH likes it, I may make a few more in a similar vein, and place them as a clustered piece. However, if it is too bright for him (quite possible), it may end up in a closet. Gotta say, it really doesn't fit in with our decor - but if it is to be viewed as art, not decor, anything goes, right? Sigh. Oh well, it was fun to make, no matter where it ends up.

2 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

Oh no - don't let it sit in a closet if DH doesn't like it.........you can send to me!
I love the black....I find it always makes the colors pop.
Great job!!!
Dale Anne in SW Saskatchewan
bfpotter@sasktel.net

Nikki said...

I keep having this thought that I could just hang all the wall quilts together in a grouping somewhere and it would look ok even though none of them match either the decor or each other.

I can't think of a name for your Straight and Narrow piece, but I really like it!